How To Do Simple Animation
Want to create a funny cartoon or animated meme? With GIMP you can make simple drawings come to life without having to learn complicated Flash code! Below are step-by-step instructions on how to creates animations with GIMP.
- Start by opening GIMP and select File > New.
- Set the color space to RGB if you want your animation to be in color. Set it as transparency if you want to include a background.
- Now draw the first frame of your animation. (Note: For your first time, try drawing something simple, like a stick figure or a smiley face.)
- Once you have your first frame drawn, duplicate the layer by selecting Layers Option > New Layer. The frame will now be called background copy.
- Set the opacity somewhere in the 40′s or 60′s so that you can see what your preceding frame looks like while also making it distinguishable from your new one.
- Draw your next frame and set the opacity back to 100%, then make a new layer.
- Repeat all of the previous steps until you have made all of the frames needed to complete your animation.
- To compress your files save them as an animated Gif, and set the delay for each frame. Click Filters > Animation > Playback.
For a tutorial on how to create a simple animated web banner using GIMP click here: http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Simple_Animations/
For video tutorials on how to create animations with GIMP click here:
For a video tutorial on how to animate an image with GIMP click here: